KERALA INFO: Thiruvananthapuram District Information
Thiruvananthapuram District Information
by by V.A.Ponmelil (All rights reserved by the author) (Feedback)
Density per km2
188 cm (Annual)
Previously called as Trivandrum, Thiruvananthapuram is an ancient city with tradition dating back to 1000 BC. The name is derived from 'Tiru Ananta Puram', the abode of the sacred serpent Ananta, upon whose coils Vishnu lies in the main temple.
Thiruvananthapuram became the capital of Raja of Travancore in 1750. Thiruvananthapuram has managed to retain some of the ambience characteristics of Kerala such as red tiled roofs, narrow winding lanes and intimate corner cafes. Extensive backwaters provide plenty of water resources.
The kings who ruled there have called themselves "Padmanabha-Dasa" or the "servants of Lord Anantha Padmanabha", and ruled the state as the representatives of Lord Anantha Padmanabha.
Until the beginning of the 10th century A.D., the Ays were ruling the district. The disappearance of the Ays as a major political power, synchronised with the emergence of the rulers of Venad.
In 1684, during the regency of Umayamma Rani, the English East India Company obtained a sandy spit of land at Anchuthengu (Anjengo) on the sea coast, with a view to erecting a factory and fortifying it. The place had earlier been frequented by the Portuguese and later by the Dutch. The Marthanda Varma, who is generally regarded as the Father of modern Travancore (1729-1758 AD) was a great ruler of the region. The accession of Maharaja Swathi Thirunal (1829-1847 AD) ushered in an epoch of cultural progress and economic prosperity.
The English education was started in 1834. During the reign of Ayilyam Thirunal (1860-1880), a fully equipped Arts College was started besides several English, Malayalam and Tamil schools. One of the significant measures associated with Shri Moolam Thirunal’s reign was the inauguration of the Legislative Council in 1888. This was the first legislative chamber, instituted in an Indian State. The activities of the Indian National Congress echoed in Thiruvananthapuram and other parts of Kerala during the reign of Shri Moolam Thirunal. In 1938, a political conference of the Congress was held in the city under the presidency of Dr. Pattabi Sitaramaiah.
The Maharaja Shri Chithira Thirunal Bala Rama Varma brought in reforms and the district witnessed many-sided progress. The promulgation of the Temple Entry Proclamation (1936) was an act that underlined social emancipation. In 1937, a separate University for Travancore was started which later became the University of Kerala after the state of Kerala being formed in 1956.
Places of Interest
Agasthyakoodam, Aruvikkara Dam, Kanakakunnu Palace, Koyikal Palace, Observatory, Neyyar Dam, Veli Tourist Village, Padmanabhapuram Palace, Padmanabha Swami Temple, Ponmudi, Vizhinjam Rock Cut Cave, Mahatma Gandhi Road, CVN Kalari Sangham
Kerala InfoKerala Overview
Kerala Dance & Music
Travel and Tourism