KERALA INFO: Travel and Tourism of Kannur District
Travel and Tourism of Kannur District
by by V.A.Ponmelil (All rights reserved by the author) (Feedback)
Fort St. Angelos
Located in the west of Kannur town, the Fort St. Angelos was built in 1505 by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francisco De Almeida, with the permission of the Kolathiris, on a promontory jutting into the Lakshadweep Sea. The Dutch captured the fort in 1663 and sold it to the Ali Raja of Kannur in 1772. In 1790, the Fort came under the control of the British. It was rebuilt by the British and became their most important station in Malabar.
Built by the British in 1700, the Thalassery Fort on a small hill called Tiruvellapadkunnu was strengthened by increasing its height and with bastions in 1708. The fort is square like structure distinguished by its massive ventilated walls and strong flanking bastions. The Captain, Raider was imprisoned here. Behind the fort is the famous St. John's Anglican church.
The only drive-in beach has black rocks protecting it from the currents of the deep, making its shallow waters, a swimmer's paradise.
Payyambalam Beach Resort
The Payyambalam beach is one of the beautiful beaches of the state. The mortal remains of Swadeshabhimani Ramakrishna Pilla, A.K. Gopalan, K.P. Gopalan, Pamban Madhavan and K.G. Marar are laid to rest near this resort.
Being the capital of the ancient Mooshika kings, Ezhimala is considered to be an ancient historical site. Apart from being a flouriIshing sea port and the centre of trade in ancient Kerala, it was also one of the major battle fields of the Chola-Chera war. Lord Budha is said to have visited this place. It has an old mosque, believed to contain the mortal remains of Shaikh Abdul Latif, a Muslim reformist. The hill also has the rare medicinal herbs.
Located at new Mahe, this renowned centre for arts and culture conducts courses in painting, sculpture, music, dance and pottery.
Located at 37 kms east of kannur, Pazhassi Dam provides a panoramic view of scenic beauty.
Pythal Mala is an enchanting hill station, situated 4,500 ft. above sea level near the Kerala - Karnataka border. It is rich in flora and fauna.
Located at 20 kms from Kannur, near Thalasseri town on the national high way, this bungalow is the place where Dr. Herman Gundert, the revered German Missionary, scholar and lexicographer lived for 20 years. It is also said that it is at this place, one of the first Malayalam dictionaries and the first Malayalam newspaper Rajyasamacharam took shape.
Situated at 18 kms from Kannur town, the Snake Park at Parassinikkadavu is dedicated to the preservation and conservation of extinct snakes. It has a large collection of poisonous and non-poisonous snakes.
Being a commercial harbour that linked Kolathunadu with Lakshadweep and foreign countries, the Moppila Bay is a natural fishing harbour, lying near Fort St. Angelos. A sea wall projecting from the fort separates the rough sea and inland water. Today, the Mopilla bay has turned into a modernised fishing harbour, developed under the Indo-Norwegian Pact.
Kerala InfoKerala Overview
Kerala Dance & Music
Travel and Tourism